The IPPC is governed by the Commission on Phytosanitary Measures (CPM), which was established under Article XII of the New Revised Text of the IPPC, approved in 1997, and serves as the Convention's governing body.
The CPM meets during March or April each year at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy, to promote cooperation to help implement the objectives of the IPPC. In particular, the Commission:
- reviews the state of plant protection around the world
- identifies action to control the spread of pests into new areas - develops and adopts international standards - establishes rules and procedures for resolving disputes
- adopts guidelines for the recognition of regional plant protection organizations; and
- cooperates with international organizations on matters covered by the Convention The members of the Commission are the contracting parties to the Convention and are responsible for implementing the work programme of standards development, information exchange and capacity building.
Commission meetings are attended by contracting parties and by observers from organizations such as the Regional Plant Protection Organizations, the WTO Sanitary and Phytosanitary Committee, the Standards and Trade Development Facility, and the Convention on Biological Diversity. Meetings also host a scientific session for discussion of important issues. Past sessions have covered topics such as pest movements through food aid shipments and the potential impact of climate change on the spread of invasive alien species.
All the previous CPM and ICPM Reports are available here.
The CPM-12 meeting will convene in Songdo Convention Center, Incheon, Republic of Korea from 5 to 11 April 2017. Further details regarding the local logistics and schedule can be found in the local information paper posted on this page.
Kindly note the following deadlines for the meeting:
15 February 2017:
Requests for travel assistance – kindly refer to the Support letter and to the DG’s letter posted on this page
24 February 2017
: Nominations (Bureau, SC and SBDS)
15 March 2017 12:00 (GMT+1)
: Objections to ISPMs
17 March 2017:
- Registration for the meeting
- Written comments on any agenda item
- Proposals for new CPM Recommendations (Agenda item 8.7)
- Written reports from relevant organizations (Agenda item 14)
- Submissions of Successes and Challenges (Agenda item 17)
Deadline for CPM12 Credentials
Contracting Parties attending CPM-12 are reminded that by 30 March 2017 the copy of Credentials should be sent to Katarina Spisiakova at Katarina.Spisiakova@fao.org.
The original should be delivered directly at the Registration Desk at CPM12 in Incheon, ROK.
Dear CPM-12 participants,Please note that for the first time the CPM meeting will be totally paperless and no copies of the meeting documents will be provided in the Republic of Korea. Therefore, please remember to print them prior to your departure and bring with you the copies to the meeting or alternatively bring a device to access the documents at https://www.ippc.int/en/core-activities/governance/cpm .
CPM12 REGISTRATION DESK
Please note that the CPM12 Registration Desk will open on Wednesday, 5 April 2017 at 9AM at Convention Center in Incheon, Republic of Korea.
You are kindly request to register with your ID card and provide the original Credentials in case you have not delivered them to the IPPC Secretariat yet.
We look forward to meeting you at the CPM12.